My Team

My Team

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Internet Safety

I was really surprised about how little information is needed to hurt someone. I have realized how important Internet safety truly is. Internet safety is important to know and to constantly update. Some of the changes I made were taking my phone number and other personal information off of my facebook. Also, I went through and edited all my privacy settings so that only my friends could see most of my information. Another thing I did, was to go to my class website and edit a few things on there as well as all my emails. In the future I will make sure I always check the URL of any website that I get on to make sure it says https if I plan on entering private information on it. Also, I will make sure that I check the URL to make sure I'm on the site I wanted and think I am on.

This applies to the students I will teach because they need to know how easy it is for people to locate/stalk them, or to even steal their identities. This is also important information for them to know as they have more blogs and social networking sites that they join. They should remember to check their privacy settings constantly and make sure there is no or little information on where they are or could be found.

I taught the Internet safety lesson to my room mates. I told them about how easy it is to find people with just their names and phone numbers or any other piece of information. I also told them about how banks will never send a link in an email asking you to click it and go to their website. I told them how people send that and then when people type in their personal information, they keep it so that they then have access to their accounts. I also told them to make sure the URL says https before putting in private information and also to check the URL to make sure that they are on the website they wanted to be on. It was interesting to see how much they didn't know, and how they immediately went to their online blogs and social networking sites to check their information.

No comments:

Post a Comment